Thursday, November 29, 2012

majesty snowbird

Dave often pokes fun at my penchant for eccentric musicians, especially my profound love for Sufjan Stevens (see also: Andrew Bird, Jens Lekman, Kishi Bashi, Beirut, Destroyer, Mark Oliver Everett, and Billy Corgan.)

Whatever. My music has soul.

Anyway, it is only a few more days until the Surfjohn Stevens Christmas Sing-A-Long: Seasonal Affective Disorder Yuletide Disaster Pageant on Ice at the Great American Music Hall. YES, that's right! I am absolutely dragging my poor husband to a Sufjan Stevens Christmas sing-a-long, where apparently, Mr. Stevens will be dressed up as a Christmas Unicorn. I love him and I CANNOT WAIT. 

This will be my fourth Sufjan concert and I certainly hope it is not the last. For a Sufjan Stevens show is always a treat.

The first time I saw him was way back in September 2006 at the Riviera in Chicago. During that night's set, he played a new song from a never-released album about birds (maybe eccentric is an understatement). Within the first few notes of the ten-minute epic 'Majesty Snowbird,' I was sold. Six years later, this haunting and beautiful masterpiece is still one of my all-time favorite songs. I utterly adore it and I so, so, so hope he plays it on Wednesday. I mean, it's about a snowbird, so it could potentially be played at a Christmas-themed show, right? RIGHT? Please?



What can I say? I love a man who is not afraid to wear a giant pair of butterfly wings.


P.S.

If you are interested, Sufjan's new Christmas album, Silver & Gold, is streaming here and here

And some silly promo videos are available for your viewing pleasure here.

Did I mention that I love him?

1 comment:

  1. Love Sufjan! My boyfriend and I went and saw him a few years ago right before he released The Age of Adz. We were a little shocked by the show because we hadn't heard the album yet...it definitely was an unexpected sound! The album eventually grew on me, but I so wish I could have seen him play older, more organic tunes.

    ReplyDelete